Sunday, March 8, 2009

Time to Revisit Cult Classic "The Rocky Horror Picture Show"

Many years ago during my college years I was introduced to the cult classic "The Rocky Horror Show." I was told nothing about the story, so my imagination ran wild with images of a monster movie, which terrify me. Boy was I in for a surprise. It seemed all my peers had seen this movie multiple times, could quote lines from it, and knew all the scenes involving "audience participation." I didn't know this was an interactive movie. What a sheltered life I led in my quiet, rural community. So twenty years ago I was introduced to this bizarre, somewhat disturbing but highly entertaining musical. You can only appreciate it in a large movie theater with dozens of young people who know the cues and can pass this knowledge on to the next generation. I wonder who and why it started in the first place. Now, on to the story..... A young couple named Brad and Janet seek shelter in Dr. Frankenfurter's castle in the middle of the night after their car breaks down. They discover a mad scientist who has created the perfect man and some mysterious servants. It's an evening filled with songs, like the ever popular "Time Warp." We're not sure if the men are really men and the women are really women and what their roles are, but it doesn't matter. The audience makes the musical worth the experience because the story and characters are literally out of this world. I highly recommend revisiting this classic and relive the fun of your college years. I don't think any movie produced since "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" can come close to this farce. So I say, "Dammit Janet!" let's do the "Time Warp" again!

No comments: