Sunday, March 22, 2009

If Ever a Wiz There Was

I cannot wait for my children to be old enough to enjoy viewing the ultimate classic "The Wizard of Oz." What a wonderful memory from childhood. I watched it every year on television. I believe it was broadcast around Thanksgiving each year. Now you can own a DVD of this treasure and watch it whenever you want. I just want to wait until the children are at age when they won't have nightmares about the Wicked Witch and the flying monkeys. I remember having bad dreams as a child. While I loved the movie, I would turn my head away when I knew the Witch would appear, or cover my ears so I wouldn't hear her cackling. She was truly evil in my eyes. But Dorothy was someone to admire. She had the beautiful hair and the adorable dog, Toto. And best of all, she had these gorgeous, shiny red shoes to wear. With the click of her heels, she was transported back to her real life among her family and friends. Dorothy may have been a long way from home, and seeking a way to return, she learned a valuable lesson about appreciating one's lot in life.
The appeal of "The Wizard of Oz" lies in its colorful characters, like Dorothy,Tin Man, Scarecrow, the Cowardly Lion (my personal favorite), the Wizard of Oz, Glenda the Good Witch, the Munchkins, Auntie Em and others. Dorothy had the adventure of a lifetime as she followed the yellow brick road to the Wizard of Oz who would help her return to Kansas. Along the way she met people who would help her achieve this objective. Who can forget the beautiful songs that accompany them along their journey like "Follow the Yellow Brick Road," "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," "We're Off to See the Wizard," and more. It's simply a classic and appropriate for most ages (except young children who frighten easily). You never outgrow movies with magical characters in a magical land. View it today, with or without children!

No comments: