Sunday, July 29, 2007

Ocean's Thirteen Revisited

Since this is my blog, I am going to do something a bit unorthodox. A reader thought my review of Ocean's Thirteen was a bit unkind. She asked me to watch the movie again and maybe consider writing a new review. I said that I would, but the risk would be that the new review would be even more harsh than the original. She was so sure I would actually like the film, that she agreed.

So what do I think now? Well, I have to admit that Danny Ocean and his crew do grow on you. While they are notorious thieves, they are also rather charming. When you add this fact to the idea that they are stealing not to get rich but to help a friend, you end up rooting for them.

The movie does move much quicker than Ocean's Twelve. It is easier to understand although I am somewhat of a loss why the Mexican strike scenes did not end up on the cutting room floor. They really were more of a distraction than a key part of the plot.

Another weakness was the way Abigail Sponder reacted to the pheromone. If it was that easy, they would sell the stuff next to the popcorn! And whomever did not predict the "surprise" ending does not deserve to be admitted to a movie theater.

Yet that being said, it was entertaining. It is not really Oscar material, but I can think of many worse ways to spend an evening (especially with an attractive companion.!) Afterward, I highly recommend going out for Sushi and beer. It can really cap off the night!

No comments: