Sunday, April 12, 2009

A fun time at the movies with Shrek

I admit freely, with no reservations, that I enjoy watching animated films. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a 45-year-old female with teenage children who will sit in a crowded theater laughing, singing, or crying with young children who are not my own. Something about these films capture my fascination and attention every time, if they're done well. Nowadays film companies like Disney and Dreamworks produce scripts with subtle adult humor (clean, of course) or make references to events which children are not likely to grasp. I appreciate that. I recently attended a screening of Shrek, the latest by DreamWorks. It's just the kind of money I love to watch in the theatre with my giant tub of popcorn and large Coke. The story is based on a children's book by William Steig. A fearsome ogre's quiet sanctuary in the swamp is overrun by fairytale creatures who are banished from Lord Farquaad's kingdom. Shrek the ogre strikes a deal wtih Farquaad. If Shrek brings back Princess Fiona, who will be Farquaad's bride, then he will restore order to Shrek's swamp. Along the way an endearing Donkey joins Shrek's quest and becomes an unlikely companion. Shrek also finds himself falling for the Princess but she's intent upon receiving true love's first kiss. The voices of Shrek, Donkey, Princess Fiona and Lord Farquaad are Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, Cameron Diaz and John Lithgow, respectively. They're perfectly matched with these characters. The chemistry between Myer's overbearing and self centered Shrek is perfect with the manic personality of Murphy's Donkey. Murphy has played the humorous sidekick in several animated films, and he does it very, very well. Throughout the movie you find yourself rooting for Shrek and Fiona, while you boo and hiss at the evil Lord Farquaad. All the elements of a great animated film are present in "Shrek": romance, humor, the evil ruler, and of course, the happily-ever-after ending. You should willingly accompany your children to this film, which will become a classic over time. Laugh out loud or feel sad for Shrek. Whatever your emotions may be, this film is for the ENTIRE family. I think I enjoyed it more than most children!

No comments: