Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Lean Across the Universe -- and Gag!

"Across the Universe" has a wonderful title. It really is good. It is short enough to remember. It is catchy. And it makes you think that this film will present a wonderful vision of how good life can be. Unfortunately, the film does no such thing. In fact, the title is maybe the only redeeming part of the entire movie!
Remember when a guy named Peter Frampton starred in a movie based on the Beatles album Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band. It was downright horrible. I would rather discuss life insurance options with a team of agents than sit through that garbage. Now, "Across the Universe" makes Frampton's folly look like a nice venue for a date!
Here is the concept: Every line of dialogue is from a Beatle's song. Every character (yes, even Jo-Jo and Prudence) are from Beatle's songs. That's it. That's the whole idea. No, there is no in depth plot. No character development. Just people singing Beatle's songs. Has Hollywood really run out of better ideas?
Don't get me wrong. I love Beatles songs. I just like them when they are sung by the Beatles! I really am not that busy, but I do not have 2 hours to sit and be disgusted. Actually, the film is more than two hours. Someone thought that the movie would not be complete unless every single Beatles song was mentioned!
Now, I need to go rent "Help" or "A Hard Day's Night" just so that my Beatles memories are not completely sullied by this movie.

No comments: